Sunday 8 June 2014

A Walk in the LAKES – The Grasmere Walk

The Lake District in England is probably the most beautiful in the whole country for outdoor activities be it trekking, cycling, mountaineering, hiking or just walking.

St. Oswald Church & Cemetery, Grasmere - resting place of Wordsworth

While coming down from Keswick I got down at Grasmere to spend some time here walking in and around the village by the same name as well as the beautiful lake.

St. Oswald Church, Grasmere

Grasmere is not only famous for its natural beauty but also because it was also home to the famous writer and poet William Wordsworth. His grave is part of the St. Oswald Church and the adjoining cemetery. 

Grasmere Street with hotel Wordsworth

The church is small and looks quite old but has beautiful surroundings and it is just nice to sit inside as well as outside the church for some time to soak in and enjoy the tranquility of the place. There is even a hotel by the name of Wordsworth Hotel & Spa to attract the tourists! 

Rothay River Walk, Grasmere

Next to the St. Oswald Church I took the Rothay River Walk which is a small but beautiful walk one can have. After this I just followed the banks of the lake and continued walking in the general direction that will take me towards Ambleside. 

Ducks next to the Grasmere Lake

Next to the lake I saw several large ducks and I was able to go quite close to them. The lake is about 1.5 km long and more than half a km wide. 

Grasmere Lake

It is fed by the Rothay river which flows through the village before entering the lake waters. The path took me to some forested area. 

Grasmere Walk 

I came out of the forested area next to a small water channel where some persons were deeply engrossed in their hobby of angling. 

Angling in Grasmere

I ultimately came out of the woods and crossed a road and saw this small waterfall very close to the bus stop from where I took the bus reluctantly for my next destination – Ambleside.

No comments: