Saturday 24 March 2012

Is Archaeological Survey of India Sleeping?

During my visit to the Morni Hills area I had gone to Tikkar Taal and was wandering around when I saw this temple claiming to be an ancient Pandav Shiv temple. Some people claimed that the Pandav's stayed here for some time. I was surprised to see very old hand chiseled statues, figurines and tablets just lying around or casually placed in utter neglect.

The temple exteriors looked relatively new so when I asked a local he said that the temple was built only 25 years back when the statues were discovered lying buried underneath. Since the statues do look old I am surprised that how come the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has not shown any interest in preserving these statues and tablets.

Some of the figurines were those of the Hindu Trinity Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva.

Figurines lying outside the temple

I could make out Shiv and Parvati in various amorous poses as well as smaller figurines of Ganesh.

Shiv-Parvati figurines at the Pandav Temple at Tikkar Taal

Some of the tablets have been also put on the pillars while others are just lying around as can be seen the in the photos above and below this text.

Pandav Shiv Temple at Tikkar Taal

Please wake up Archaeological Survey of India and do something about this.

No comments: